Need a printout or a PDF?
Your browser should print a slightly modified version of this document optimized for the printed page.
If you need a PDF, on most systems it's possible to get one by choosing “Print To File” or something similar in your system's Print dialog.
- Up-to-date résumé: https://john.passaro.page/tech/resume.html
- Github: https://github.com/jpassaro
- LinkedIn: https://john.passaro.page/redirect/linkedin
I am a passionate technologist who delights in finding hard problems to solve. I love working independently or as part of a team effort, and my focus is always on timely delivery while making sure that what shouldn't be put off isn't put off.
Competencies & SkillsAll of the following reflect experience deploying to production environments, except where an asterisk indicates working knowledge. Straight underline reflects open-source code contributions. Wavy underline reflects contributions via bug report.
- AWS (EC2, S3, Serverless, SQS, Cloudwatch, et al.)
- Libraries & frameworks
- Dev tools
- Vim (and many plugins)
- tox/setuptools (python)
ExperienceAll of this experience took place in New York City.
- Software Engineer
on the Growth Engineering/Billing team at
Disney Streaming Services,
since June 2020. Duties so far include:
- Exposing order data to analytics personnel and tools
- Senior Java Engineer
September 2017 - March 2020
- Maintained and extended “Scruffy”, backend service integrating 3rd-party systems (e.g. ERPs, e-commerce, logistics)
- Implemented error reporting, metrics, and other visibility measures for business users
- Improved infrastructure, including a move into serverless architecture and implementing 1-click deploy for Scruffy
- Senior Backend Engineer
December 2015 - August 2017
- Startup building a web service and algorithmic platform for supply-chain financing
- As sole backend engineer, implemented data & API for all new features
- Full stack: handled front-end issues as needed (JS/CSS/React)
- Inherited a prototype: improved design, substantial cleanup, grew to MVP status
- Java SE Developer (Connectivity/TRFXT)
August 2011 - November 2015
- Responsible for servers aggregating FX liquidity from different 3rd-party venues, as components in a high-volume FX trading platforming
- Created or standardized processes for building and deploying configuration data
How I work
- Legibility: lintable code, descriptive names, judicious comments.
- Test everything. Automate everything.
- Take your time to plan, but not too much.
- With security matters, prevention beats cleanup.
- Feedback is always valuable.
- Cultivate respectful relationships, be a safe space for brainstorming.
- Vigorous, open-minded, and efficient debate to find the best solution.
B.A. with honors in Mathematics and Music (+ minor in Computer Science) at The City College of New York
I scored 20 on the Putnam Competition. This was in the top 10% of competitors for that year.
I co-authored an academic paper on the shapes of large binary trees: Average reductions between random tree pairs, https://msp.org/involve/2015/8-1/p05.xhtml