Need a printout or a PDF?
Your browser should print a slightly modified version of this document optimized for the printed page.
If you need a PDF, on most systems it's possible to get one by choosing “Print To File” or something similar in your system's Print dialog.
- Up-to-date résumé: https://john.passaro.page/tech/resume.html
- Github: https://github.com/jpassaro
- LinkedIn: https://john.passaro.page/redirect/linkedin
I am a passionate technologist who delights in finding hard problems to solve. I love working independently or as part of a team effort, both in a design capacity and with nose-to-the-grindstone coding. I prioritize maintainable and well-tested code as an essential component of a successful delivery.
I am not seeking opportunities at this time. I am open to discussions about the right mission and the right pay, but recruiters for NodeJS positions or crypto/defense/law-enforcement employers should consider me a bad fit.
Competencies & SkillsAll of the following reflect experience deploying to production environments, except where an asterisk indicates working knowledge. Straight underline reflects open-source code contributions. Wavy underline reflects contributions via bug report.
- AWS (EC2, S3, Serverless, SQS, Cloudformation, Kinesis, et al.)
- Spark (via Databricks)
- Libraries & frameworks
- Dev tools
- Vim/neovim (and many plugins)
- tox/setuptools (python)
ExperienceAll of this experience took place in New York City.
- Senior Software Engineer on the Growth Life / Accounting team at Disney Streaming, since June 2020.
I am the lead developer for Datos, which exposes detailed information and context about billing and subscription events on Disney's streaming products to stakeholders across the org including finance, analytics, customer service and more.
- Senior Java Engineer at Poppin, September 2017 - March 2020
- Maintained and extended “Scruffy”, backend service integrating 3rd-party systems (e.g. ERPs, e-commerce, logistics)
- Implemented error reporting, metrics, and other visibility measures for business users
- Improved infrastructure, including a move into serverless architecture and implementing 1-click deploy for Scruffy
- Senior Backend Engineer at Zeconomy, December 2015 - August 2017
- Startup building a web service and algorithmic platform for supply-chain financing
- As sole backend engineer, implemented data & API for all new features
- Full stack: handled front-end issues as needed (JS/CSS/React)
- Inherited a prototype: improved design, substantial cleanup, grew to MVP status
- Java SE Developer (Connectivity/TRFXT) at Thomson Reuters, August 2011 - November 2015
- Responsible for servers aggregating FX liquidity from different 3rd-party venues, as components in a high-volume FX trading platforming
- Created or standardized processes for building and deploying configuration data
How I work
- Legibility: lintable code, descriptive names, judicious comments.
- Test everything. Automate everything.
- Take your time to plan, but not too much.
- With security matters, prevention beats cleanup.
- Feedback is always valuable.
- Cultivate respectful relationships, be a safe space for brainstorming.
- Vigorous, open-minded, and efficient debate to find the best solution.
B.A. with honors in Mathematics (+ minor in Computer Science, and extensive studies in Music) at The City College of New York
I scored 20 on the Putnam Competition. This was in the top 10% of competitors for that year.
I co-authored an academic paper on the shapes of large binary trees: Average reductions between random tree pairs, https://msp.org/involve/2015/8-1/p05.xhtml